Mali Rising's Youth Ambassadors engage the energy of young people in the U.S. to help Mali Rising's students. At the same time, Ambassadors are building their own leadership skills and fostering international understanding among young people.
We are currently accepting applications for school year 18/19 Youth Ambassadors. The Youth Ambassadors Advisory Council, made up of high school Ambassador volunteers, will review applications on a rolling basis beginning in August 2018. Twenty Ambassador slots are available until filled. Apply by September 30 (late applications may be considered, if space allows).
Who are the Youth Ambassadors?
Any high school student in the United States is eligible to apply (see form on right). Ambassadors are selected by a leadership group of their peers -- the Youth Ambassadors Advisory Council. The Council is looking for creative Ambassador applicants who are willing and able to donate their volunteer time and energy.
What do Youth Ambassadors do?
All Youth Ambassadors commit to tackling at least one activity from each of three categories during the Ambassador year:
- Education/outreach. Examples may include: doing a presentation to a school class or youth organization, getting their school involved in the Make the Case for Caring Essay Contest, becoming a Mali Rising social media STAR, etc.
- Fundraising. Examples may include: conducting a personal fundraising drive, participating in our virtual walk-a-thon (Miles for Mali), helping with a school-based fundraiser, etc.
- Service. Examples may include: creating English language flashcards for Mali students, coordinating a drive for “welcome back to school” letters for Mali students, making a component of menstrual kits, etc. Mali Rising will provide a set of ready-made options for service projects, but Ambassadors may also propose their own projects to the Advisory Council.
Short monthly video calls will help Ambassadors follow through on their activities and provide a fun chance to learn and connect.
What do Youth Ambassadors receive?
The joy of helping other people! Seriously, don't under estimate the value of this. In addition, Ambassadors:
- Join a fun community of other outstanding young leaders from all around the United States. We host regular video calls where Ambassadors connect and share with each other and hear from experts in the field.
- Learn more about international development & Mali. For example, our video calls include a chance to learn more, including from staff and students in Mali.
- Build leadership skills that will help them in the future & with college applications.
- Where applicable, students may receive service hour credit from their own school's program.
- And so much more!